Know Your Electrical Hazards in Your Buffalo Home
Electrical Fire Safety
The thought of an electrical fire is scary. Not knowing what is going on inside your walls, ceiling, attic, or garage and not knowing if an appliance or something plugged into an outlet could overload and malfunction. Electrical safety in a home is a must. Always have a qualified electrician perform all electrical work done. If your wiring is outdated, consider getting it updated. Make sure your home is up to code. If you are buying a home, make sure the home inspector checks all the electric to make sure it is in accordance with local requirements. Limit your appliances in single outlets, do not overload, especially heat producing appliances. Do not use extension cords for large appliances such as refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, and air conditioners. Be sure to have GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupters) in the kitchen, bathroom, garages, basements and outdoors. You test the GFCIs once a month to ensure they are working. Always check chords for cuts or fraying. Never place your cell phone under your pillow or leave sitting on your bed while charging it. Many of these tips are brought to you by the NFPA- National Fire Protection Association. SERVPRO of Buffalo - Tonawanda has participated in many fire prevention meetings and open houses. The cleanup of a fire is no stranger to us.