Avoid Christmas Tree Fires
We have a lot on our minds during the holiday season, between wrapping gifts, sending out cards, and spending time with the family, the dangers of un-watered Christmas tree can completely slip our minds! A well-watered Christmas tree is a must for the season because a dry tree can be quite flammable. Eliminating or mitigating the chance of a fire hazard is very important. Christmas tree fires can be very deadly too. According to the National Fire Protection Association(NFPA), one in thirty-two fires results in a death, making them even more deadly than house fires. Here are some quick tips to help in Christmas tree fire prevention.
- Keep the tree at least three feet away from heat sources
- Water the tree everyday with up to one gallon of water a day – the National Christmas Tree Association states one quart per inch of the trunks diameter
- Avoid any flickering candles or open flame sources too close to the tree
- Replace worn cords and loose bulbs
- Consider switching to an artificial tree
The Christmas tree is a fun tradition that has existed for generations and brings the family together, but be sure to keep an eye on your tree and take the necessary precautions to avoid the worst. However, if the worst does occur SERVPRO is there to help clean up and make it "Like it never even happened." Happy Holidays!